[CAUT] inharmonicity in piano wire

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Thu Feb 5 08:33:00 PST 2009

List,

I just received a query from a science faculty member at the art institute where I work.  He asks how can it be that partials of piano wire are sharp of what they "should" be?  I told him that my very pedestrian understanding is that this phenomenon is due to the high tension of piano wire up to pitch, but that is just me repeating what I have heard "somewhere."  Is this response even close to being correct?  Any further clarification as to why this is would be much appreciated all the way around.

Thanks,

Alan Eder

CalArts