[CAUT] rolling pianos with oversize brass casters?

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 4 15:34:45 PST 2009

> Date: Wed,  4 Feb 2009 14:37:14 -0600 (CST) John Minor <jminor at illinois.edu>
>
> Anyone have any issues with rolling concert pianos with the oversize brass casters across uneven floors? We have a space(3/4" gap with filled with caulk)with in the flooring between the offstage piano storage and the stage itself. For the most part we use the grand transporter from Jansen to keep  the casters off the floor when moving on and off stage. But, we have the occasional request to move the piano onstage during the performance and it takes the stage crew a few extra minutes to remove the transporter once it is set in position on stage. Someone suggested moving the piano without the grand transporter.
>
> Anyone have legs snapping off, etc.?

John,
 No legs. But a couple of the student techs (who were supposedly
trained!) snapped off a lyre when putting a D away after a concert. We
have electrical outlets in the stage floor with heavy brass covers. They
rolled the piano right over an open one - and snapped the lyre right
off....  It was right in the middle of the end-of-semester concert rush
too... We have neither the budget for a transporter nor space to store
one. Maybe when we get our new building.  (with the California $42
billion budget deficit, I ain't holding my breath, but there are plans...).

Israel Stein