[CAUT] Claudio Di Veroli & Equal Temperament

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Mon Feb 2 12:00:12 PST 2009

It's great that this kind of discussion is happening.  Clearly there are
questions we need to ask ourselves, and each other.  I suspect that if we
really took the energy to look closely there may be less disagreement than
it seems, but that is what it is.  I like the fact that we can have subtle,
but very different styles in the way we approach our tuning.  Even though I
defend what I do, it is not my goal to have everyone else do the exactly the
same thing.  We all come into this profession from some very different
perspectives. There is no agreed "best" way, but I think this accounts for
some of our different expectations.  Some of us come from strong shop
backgrounds, and others come from strong musical backgrounds.  I'm not one
of them, but there are a few lucky ones with a strong early background in
both.

As for being a "master tuner".... whatever that means,  those were words
simply taken from Webster's. "... to become skilled or proficient, and to
gain through understanding of... every aspect of <~ed the craft>".

Maybe this is something that needs to be defined appropriate to our
situation.... but that is another discussion. If our craft is so large that
this is impossible for any serious, skilled technician-  then definitely we
aren't compensated enough!

good day to all,

Dennis Johnson