[CAUT] Piano juries on concert instruments

Mitch Staples staples.13 at osu.edu
Thu Dec 31 13:50:08 MST 2009

Jeff,

I disagree.  The piano technician is as much part of the music department as
anyone else and should answer to the music administration.  If the
administration doesn't respect the piano technician that's it's own problem.

I don't see any benefit in a service department, it's just another layer of
bureaucracy, and makes us look like a run of the mill fix-it guy.  In my
school I constantly fight being pigeon holed as a maintenance person.
Granted much of what we do is maintenance, but the most important things
(bringing out the expressive potential of performance pianos) are art.

Maybe my situation is rare (I thought it was the norm) but I have just as
much sway in relevant matters as any professor and more than many.  Now If I
was paid as much as most professors I'd be happier, but that's a different
thread.

Happy New Year,

Mitch Staples
Ohio State University