[CAUT] Piano juries on concert instruments

Mccoy, Alan amccoy at ewu.edu
Tue Dec 22 12:17:42 MST 2009

Ditto exactly Fred's situation here at EWU down to the "tune it Friday and they get what they get."

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University
amccoy at ewu.edu
509-359-4627 (message Pacific time)
509-999-9512 (cell Pacific time)

________________________________
From: Fred Sturm <fssturm at unm.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 16:21:31 -0800
To: CAUTlist <caut at ptg.org>
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Piano juries on concert instruments

On Dec 21, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Israel Stein wrote:

The point of this story is to ask, what kind of policies regarding venues and instruments for piano juries prevail elsewhere in CAUTdom? Is there any other place that allows this sort of use (abuse?) of their prime stage instruments? Or any stage instruments?

All our juries are held in the recital hall. Piano majors can use the #1 instrument, others limited to #2. This has been policy for over 30 years.
However, no recitals are or may be scheduled during jury/finals week. Period. Never an exception. (I tune Friday of the week before, and what happens thereafter is what they get).

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu