[CAUT] Key Leads

Fortenberry, Kevin kevin.fortenberry at ttu.edu
Mon Dec 21 12:40:03 MST 2009

To David and List,

It looks like you are going to replace the leads, which is best. However, for the benefit of future decisions out there when it may not be possible to replace, I would like to suggest the following: Never, ever grind or belt sand corrosive  leads. I agree with John Ross on respirator (choose a good one), but the best way to remove the excess if you are not able to replace, is to use the correct size of forstner drill bit. It's like a power chisel, and does not create corrosive dust. Hand chisel is also great, but slow--and then chose your sealer. Charles Fry taught this to our chapter in the Heart of Texas a few years ago. Maybe this will help someone in the future. A small selection of Forstner bits is also EXTREMELY handy for various shop needs.

Kevin Fortenberry, RPT
Texas Tech University

Message: 2