[CAUT] temperature and pitch

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Dec 19 16:47:29 MST 2009

On Dec 19, 2009, at 4:11 PM, Jeff Tanner wrote:

> I've had stage managers complain about pitch change in the low tenor
> once the lights heated everything up, and it would take more than 2
> cents in the low tenor to be noticeably different to "lay" people in
> these types of shows.

But you are talking about immediate change, as the strings are heated
and the plate doesn't catch up. And I agree, it will be larger. In my
experience it is the wound strings that go the farthest, with the
stage lights on them (or with hot or cold air blowing on them).
	But the whole point was that here was an example of when it happened
slowly, and the plate, presumably, kept up, and moderated the change
to the strings.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico