[CAUT] temperature and pitch

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 19 10:24:00 MST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Sturm" <fssturm at unm.edu>
To: "College & University Technicians" <caut at ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 11:21 PM
Subject: Re: [CAUT] temperature and pitch

> On Dec 17, 2009, at 2:22 PM, Jeff Tanner wrote:
>
>> Temp under the lid - in the dark - was 73.5 and the temp on the  table
>> next to the piano was 73.0, bright lights in the room, etc.   That's half
>> a degree.
>

> I don't think a difference in temperature that small is significant.  If
> it gets above 2 degrees, then maybe you start to take notice, and  at some
> point it actually affects things.

Remember, this was a space in a home where the temperature is pretty well
maintained. The tuning actually happened between about 3 and 4:15pm or so,
so most likely the room temp wasn't moving around much. I actually thought
given those conditions that it was interesting that the temp inside the
closed piano was a half degree warmer. I agree with you that a half degree
probably isn't significant, but it is a sign that there is indeed an effect
from the D/C system, especially if whoever posted was correct that the plate
should have somewhat of a cooling effect.

The situation you described was one where the room temp dropped 10 degrees
in just a few hours.  I was simply speculating that with the heat source
directly beneath the the closed piano that the temp inside the piano would
not have changed as much as the air outside it.  And perhaps if that were
the case, your pitch didn't move as much as it would have otherwise.

Jeff