[CAUT] temperature and pitch

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 17 14:37:01 MST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <rnossaman at cox.net>
> I know what the thing is, Fred, I just haven't found the result to be a
> problem with these pianos, other than having to let them cool down a bit
> before tuning.
> Ron N

Ron,
I'm curious what happens to the tuning after you close them back up? I have
a situation in a small college teaching studio where the AC is uncontrolled.
It will usually be 63 degrees in August and somewhere around 80% RH. Pitch
swings were wild, so I installed a dehumidifier only system.  I'm thinking
of carrying a space heater with me next time to warm the room some before I
open up the 2 Yamaha P22s. I figure if I let the strings cool down to the
room temp, then tune them, then close the piano back up, the tuning will go
haywire in 20 minutes.

Jeff