[CAUT] temperature and pitch

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 17 14:22:48 MST 2009

Today, I tuned a Kawai KG70 with a D/C installed. During the hour and a half
I was there, I felt underneath several times and did not feel the
dehumidifiers ever come on.  They never needed to with RH at 41% outside the
piano and 42% inside. Temp under the lid - in the dark - was 73.5 and the
temp on the table next to the piano was 73.0, bright lights in the room,
etc.  That's half a degree.

My thinking was more like how your house stays warm at night, despite a 30
degree drop in outside temperature. You get the walls warm during the day
and the heater running inside keeps it warm on the inside while the outside
air temp changes dramatically.  Yes, its a little different in that with a
house you have circulated air and a thermostat maintaining the inside
temperature, but the same idea in that you have somewhat of an insulated
cabinet keeping the inside temp from being affected as much by the outside
air changes.

Jeff