[CAUT] temperature and pitch

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Dec 17 13:49:44 MST 2009

On Dec 17, 2009, at 10:45 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Fred Sturm wrote:
>> On Dec 16, 2009, at 10:29 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>>> Actually, someone else recommended the full length covers, more to
>>> protect the case finish than anything else I suspect, but I've
>>> seen no reason not to after the fact.
>>    The thing is, because the humidistat is always active
>

> I know what the thing is, Fred, I just haven't found the result to
> be a problem with these pianos, other than having to let them cool
> down a bit before tuning.
> Ron N

	Maybe you know, but I doubt the average reader on this list knows.
That's why I go to the trouble to write posts like my last one (I
usually write with the whole list in mind, not just one particular
person). I don't like the idea of a bunch of people thinking "Dampp-
chaser systems cause pianos to be hot and unstable in pitch" or
similar nonsense. There is a discrete reason for a particular set up
to produce this result. I described it. It is unusual, I think.
	For my part, as I said earlier, I would not put a D/C system in a
piano with a cover that is mostly impermeable to moisture, nor would I
put such a cover on a D/C installed piano. What you do and how you
deal with the situation is your business. If it causes you no pain,
hey, no problem to me.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico