[CAUT] temperature and pitch

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Dec 16 18:43:12 MST 2009

On Dec 16, 2009, at 6:21 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> After the strings cool to nominally room temperature, they are very
> close to on pitch and tune easily and quickly.

	Would it be fair to assume a relatively high ambient RH, or at least
one that is close enough to the target (42% for standard) that the
heating rods are firing a good bit of the time? My own experience
(that I was talking about relative to the piano I measured), now in
early winter NM with ambient RH in the 20s or below, is that the
heating rods are pretty inactive, so pretty much all you have adding
heat is the little tank rods, 10-15 watt or so.
	I didn't mean to say that D/C systems couldn't cause temperature/
pitch problems, especially with uprights, especially in high
humidities. I haven't noticed it myself, but I can certainly imagine
it happening.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico