[CAUT] fundamental vs partials, was. Re: lowest note on Imp. Bosey

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Dec 15 12:49:06 MST 2009

On Dec 14, 2009, at 6:34 PM, wimblees at aol.com wrote:

> It's interesting that you mention the fundamental not being "heard".
> A man in the chorus in which I sing told me that humans cannot hear
> a pitch that low, but that we only hear the partials. When I tuned
> one once, I remember hearing the actual vibrations of the strings,
> which to me sounds like a B19 Bomber, but I can't remember if I was
> actually hearing the fundamental, or just the overtones.

The thing is, a vibration of that frequency is really no different to
the ear than beats of that frequency. The brain doesn't process it as
pitch. So we may perceive it through our ears, but as sound without
pitch. Unless we are elephants <G> .
	BTW, it is interesting to note that C0 at 16 hertz is 11.5 Hz away
from A0, a sixth away. Half steps are getting down to 1 Hz apart. 100
cents = about 1Hz there. And if you play a semitone, it should beat at
about 1 bps. If you could distinguish the fundamental beat from the
partials, that is. Nothing practical has been said here, just idle
speculation.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico