[CAUT] temperature and pitch

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 12 20:31:28 MST 2009

Have you blown a hair dryer across the strings of a piano.   Instantaneous lower pitch.   Many times I've been tuning and in the course of the tuning a door would be opened and cold air would come into the room and the pitch would go up.   Close the door and the pitch comes back down.   Tuning in a cross over area at  the Opera House directly below a vent which came on and the pitch went right on up...usually, it seems a couple of cents change...
I have no doubt in your church example the piano acclimated to the temperature...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044