[CAUT] temperature and pitch

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Dec 11 16:07:46 MST 2009

Can't comment on the amount of change per unit of temperature but the speed
with which it happens is fairly quick.  Started tuning a piano in a church
this morning with the temperature about 50 degrees at the start.  Pitch was
about 2-3 cents sharp in the tenor section.  Tuning up from there by the
time I got to C5 (20 minutes or so) the temperature had risen to 70 with the
heat on and a remeasure of the tenor section showed that the pitch was about
2 cents flat--pretty uniformly.  Steinway D.  It does show that there are
clearly two aspects to pitch swings.  Temperature in which probably the
metal parts are affected, and humidity in which the wooden parts are
affected.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com