[CAUT] Sperrhake Harpsichord wire

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Dec 9 15:27:43 MST 2009

On Dec 9, 2009, at 11:56 AM, Mccoy, Alan wrote:

> Oops. Looks like I’m guilty of not providing a caveat when I sent
> you those spreadsheets in that I hadn’t used either of them or dug
> into them enough to verify any of the formulas therein. And it looks
> like you took some heat for it. Sorry, Fred and others, for adding
> to the confusion.

Hi Alan,
	No need to apologize. The spreads you sent were and are perfectly
fine and useful, and are based on the information many of us have
relied on: the strength tables provided by the wire companies. Those
tables show, consistently, a small but steady increase in strength of
smaller gauges compared to larger, when that curve is compared to the
tension curve.
	Best I can tell from Ron's posts (weeding out the dripping sarcasm,
insults, and other extraneous material, and then trying to decipher
his abbreviated statements), people like Sanderson analyzed a larger
sampling of the batch tests on which those tables have been based, and
found that the increase in strength of smaller gauges is smaller than
the more limited sampling had shown. They decided the difference
wasn't very significant, so they developed a mathematical model to
calculate predicted break point figures. Hence, most scale people
these days simply use a mathematical formula, which relates the
strength directly to the cross sectional area of the wire. And this
formula yields, as would obviously be expected, no difference
whatsoever between break% of different gauges for a given pitch and
length.
	This is a practical solution for scaling spreadsheets, as the
differences in strength are so small as to be insignificant in making
scaling decisions. In fact, the only place break% matters in making a
piano scale is at the very top, and in wrapped strings, since the rest
is well within safe margins. And beacuse any given batch will vary
somewhat from the predicted value, the trend for smaller diameters to
be somewhat stronger is not all that useful: the difference in
strengths of various batches of 13 wire means that the one you happen
to have could be on the weak side of the spectrum, and this outweighs
the small advantage it has on average over 14 (and your 14 might be
extra strong).
	The spreads you gave me are not flawed, just based on a different way
of predicting reality than the Sanderson or Hays formulae. Neither
will predict the reality of music wire behavior with a lot of
precision, since wire varies, and since wire usually breaks due to
friction or angles or kinks anyway. Using the spread sheets (and their
underlying data) to obtain those figures is really about as valid as
using the formulae, best I can tell. The best either gives you is an
educated guess.
	Anyhow, any heat I took doesn't matter to me, as long as I ended up
with a little broader understanding. I'm not sure the heat was very
useful for the list as a whole, though, as probably more smoke than
light was generated. Maybe this post clarifies things a little. If
not, I'm sure Mr. N will straighten me out, or at least try to <G>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu