[CAUT] What Types of Pianos in Non-Piano Teaching Studios and Classrooms?

Paul Milesi paul at pmpiano.com
Tue Dec 8 10:33:22 MST 2009

I¹m wondering what sorts of pianos other schools have in teaching studios
for theory/comp, flute, trombone, choir director, and, particularly, voice.
Are they verticals or grands?  How frequently tuned?  Better or worse shape
than practice rooms?

When I came on board here a few months ago, I removed grands from all
teaching studios except piano and voice.  It just seemed like a
misallocation of limited assets to me, since we didn¹t have any playable
grands in practice rooms (3 Webers with lyres that had come apart, on the
ground).  The new chairman (an insider) agreed.  Now we have 12, including 6
Baldwin Rs and Ls and 2 Steinways, in various states of (dis)repair.  None
of them is great.  But at least I can get to them for major reconditioning.
The faculty, once they got over the blow to their egos, are much happier
with vertical pianos that are in better condition and better tune, and that
take less space in their studios.  And students are happier as well.

We currently have studio uprights in 4 classrooms.  Again, I removed 1 very
old Steinway S to a practice room for reconditioning for use by piano
majors.  It seemed like a waste to have it sitting in a classroom, never
really played except for ear training.

This has dramatically changed the face of things at the school, obviously.
I¹m just curious to see if I¹m in line with others¹ thinking about asset
allocation, since I¹m a pianist myself and rather sensitive to providing
students with some ³real² instruments.  Have I gone overboard?  :)
--
Paul Milesi, RPT
Staff Piano Technician
E-mail:  paul at pmpiano.com