[CAUT] Sperrhake Harpsichord wire

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Dec 7 10:33:58 MST 2009

Fred Sturm wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2009, at 2:53 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>
>> Using your figures, C-4 goes 83lb, 94lb, 118lb, 145lb, and the break%
>> remains 34% for both the Sanderson and Hays formulas.
>>
>> For the C-7, it goes 147lb, 167lb, 210lb, 258lb, and the break%
>> remains 61% for Sanderson, and 60% for Hays.
>>
>> My numbers correspond to yours for the Rhodes formula. The other one
>> isn't a formula at all, but a lookup table.
>

>     Then you say your number correspond to mine for Rhodes. But my
> Rhodes figures show a progression of break%. For C-4, 29.2, 29.8, 31,
> 32. For C-7, 52, 53, 55, 57. (The second series of figures I posted were
> from Rhodes, with tension converted to Kg for consistency. But the Lbs
> tension are precisely the same as yours).
>     So why the inconsistency?

There is no inconsistency. The math works the same on my copy
of Excel as it does yours. I said my numbers, plural,
corresponded to yours, meaning the Rhodes formula on my
spreadsheet produces the same break% numbers as the same
formula on your spreadsheet. It is, in fact, the same
spreadsheet because you sent me a copy of it. Do I have to
actually send numbers that are the same as yours, or can you
bring yourself to trust that I compared them and they were the
same as yours - as I said? I'm sure if you dig long enough,
you can find something to question on some level. This is why
I tried to keep things as simple as possible, and limited to
only one point. Even at that, it can be bottomless.
Ron N