[CAUT] slippery keys

Donald McKechnie dmckech at ithaca.edu
Sun Dec 6 20:32:04 MST 2009

All,

About 6 months ago a customer of mine finally replaced his very badly
deteriorated ivory key tops. He is a very good pianist and got used
to the old ivory but it was time to replace. He could not afford
replacing with ivory or bone so a good plastic replacement was the
only option. Unfortunately he has not adapted to the new key tops.
After playing on the old ivories for so many years (which had good
grip at least) he feels that his fingers are slipping around the new
plastic too much.

The new plastic does not look like anything out of the ordinary to me
so I'm ruling out any defect for the moment. He plays other pianos on
a regular basis that have plastic keys but he feels these new key
tops are more slippery than others. I suppose older plastic might
have a bit more grip as they wear but I have never had a complaint
about new key tops being too slippery.

My first thought is to rub them out a bit with 400 grit sandpaper and
see if that helps. I can always buff them on the wheel if that does
not work. Anyone have an experience like this and any remedies?

Thanks,
Don

Don McKechnie
Piano Technician