[CAUT] Sperrhake Harpsichord wire

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Dec 5 17:54:10 MST 2009

On Dec 5, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> In that REAL WORLD you were so insistent on, are you likely to
> deviate more than 0.001" on that string replacement? And wouldn't
> that calculated break% difference be at worst, a half percent by
> your formulas? And how, by any reasonable criteria, is this worth
> the time spent on this thread trying to drag useful information out
> of it?

	When you are in the real world with a string breakage problem, you
are probably in a high range of the breaking %, no? What are you going
to do? Is changing the speaking length an option? Not often. So you
need to have a knowledge of the principle that underlies this. Try
entering lengths in your spreadsheet that get you in the 55-60% break
range. Experiment with increasing and decreasing diameter. You'll find
(or at least I have found) that a .001" change narrower can get you
1-2% lower break%. A change wider gets you higher break%. It's a
consistent pattern. I grant you, it isn't dramatic, and might not turn
out to be significant on pianos, in real application. But it is clear
that if you are going to experiment with substituting string size, to
deal with a note that is breaking consistently, a smaller size is much
more likely to solve your problem. I haven't found an instance where
the pattern was reversed, have you?
	I have never done this on pianos (except that if I happen to be
missing the half size at the moment, I go small rather than large). My
experience in this is with harpsichords. On harpsichords, I suspect
that the break% variance is probably larger in proportion, judging
from my experience. Partly because we are dealing with proportionally
larger differences of string mass (.014 versus .015 is a bigger
difference than .040 to .041), and often with scales that are a lot
more "ambitious" (pushing the break% envelope). Maybe someone on the
list has a set up for harpsichord tension, break%, etc and can run
some figures or provide a spreadsheet.
	I do know from several experiences of trying, that, for example,
replacing the .015 brass string that is breaking with .016 is a waste
of time and material. It will break, probably faster than the .015
(probably when you get to about 1/4 step flat of target pitch).
Replacing it with .014 is pretty likely to be successful.
	Which is really the only point I was offering, except that I wanted
to explain why it is so, because it is counter-intuitive. You are
right, far more smoke than fire in this thread, especially in
application to pianos. But it is a useful thing to know if you work on
harpsichords, where this problem often arises. And that is what this
thread was about originally.
	I don't believe, though, that any of the statements I made about
pianos was wrong (though the significance is maybe lower than the
verbiage would indicate). For instance, I believe you will find it is
true that any string on a piano replaced with 13 gauge will have an
equal or lower break% than with its existing gauge (and similarly for
other gauges moving down the scale).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico