[CAUT] concert hall pianos again

Martin Snow martinsnowpianos at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 5 17:04:31 MST 2009

Fw: concert hall pianos yet again
concert hall pianos yet again
December 5, 2009 6:14:43 PM EST
From:
"Martin Snow" <martinsnowpianos at yahoo.com>
To:
"" <caut-request at ptg.org>
I agree with David, and again to repeat  that for 24 years at Boston University, you've got to like early mornings to make a success at being a university tech.  I live 35 miles away, but like to be on campus certainly before  6.30 am. I have total access to all pianos at that time, I can walk through 60 plus studios,  checking, making mental and written notes on touch up tunings, partial reg. and voicing issues, scanning for broken strings.  I make out a list on the message board in the shop  for my  crew from my early morning walk around , which they know to check as soon as they come in, before they start any routine tunings. Again our inventory is around 170 pianos.
If you try to fit the work load of a piano tech. at a large university into the hours that everybody else likes to work 9.00-5.00 then I fear there are going to be issues. Who wants to be scheduling access to all these rooms ? Also I like to finish early, and do some private business tunings in the afternoon.
www.martinsnowpianos.com