[CAUT] Sperrhake Harpsichord wire

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Dec 5 07:52:10 MST 2009

On Dec 4, 2009, at 3:59 PM, Mccoy, Alan wrote:

> Fred,
> Try Scaleripper. You use a mac though and I think scaleripper is for
> Windows only. Still this is a good program where you can experiment
> all you want. Or Pscale, but it too is for windows only.
> http://www.blademediainc.com/download.php
> Alan

	Alan was kind enough to send what I originally asked for off list: a
couple spreadsheets (in Xcel) containing all the formulae and actual
entered data for real pianos. Two different spreadsheets (ie, set up
differently with different formulae, one based on Dave Roberts done by
Doug Rhodes, the other with the name Collins attached). I ran some
sample figures, and it came out precisely as I predicted. I took
sample notes, F5, C6, F6 and lowered the string diameter for each,
then raised it. In each case, lowering the string diameter resulted in
a lower calculated tension and a lower calculated tension as per cent
of breaking point. And increasing the diameter resulted in higher
calculated  tension and higher calculated tension as percent of
breaking point.
	I'd be happy to send these along to any skeptics who want to try for
themselves. I am sure there are others on this list who already have
their own spreadsheets, similarly populated with real piano (or
harpsichord) data, who can try it out for themselves. I would be happy
to hear of any results.
	I view the matter as settled, Ron Nossaman's carping notwithstanding.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu