[CAUT] FW: Concert hall pianos

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 4 12:31:46 MST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Busby" <jim_busby at byu.edu>
Yet another gripe of mine; students wearing out faculty studio Bs... They are in there 17 hours per day. As it is, we can barely keep up with tunings and broken strings there. I guess I should just grin and think of this as "job security".

Add my gripe about professors teaching private lessons in their studios on university-owned instruments. Same thing. More maintenance required, but this time the institution is not benefitting from the use of the instruments.

The problem with all of it is that all of the CAUT situations are dreadfully understaffed for piano techs.  And as the activity level at the schools increases, and it does, there exists an inverse relationship of piano wear to accessibility for maintenance. And the already understaffed CAUTs start looking like they're no longer doing their jobs.

....which leads to my response to:

"That's one of the reasons I get to work at 5:30.  I can get more done between 5:30 - 10:00 am than any other time.  Afternoon is a lost cause." - dp

I still don't understand why universities think they should expect their f/t piano technicians to work outside normal hours and pay them half what they could make working normal hours. The contract work I've done, the faculty and students will clear the room to get a piano tuned/serviced. Classrooms, teaching studios, everything short of scheduled rehearsals and performances.

Tanner