[CAUT] Sperrhake Harpsichord wire

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Dec 4 10:43:02 MST 2009

On Dec 4, 2009, at 9:46 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> The mass of the larger wire requires more tension to reach pitch,
> true, and the smaller wire less tension. The misconception inherent
> here is that tension and break% are the same thing. They aren't. The
> smaller wire will break at a lower tension than the larger wire. As
> a result, the smaller, original, and larger wire are all at very
> nearly the same break% at pitch. This is what the math shows, and
> this is what empirical testing has indicated. All these strings will
> break at about the same pitch, on average.

	Have you actually plugged wire gauges into a spread sheet to verify
this? And what empirical testing have you done? My own empirical
testing has shown, on harpsichords, that what I have stated is true. I
have assumed it would be true for pianos.
	Part of my assumption is based on the fact that bridges are curved to
a scale, and it is not a logarithmic one that doubles lengths for
every octave. A given string at the same tension should give an octave
lower at double the length, two octaves lower at 4 times the length,
etc. Scales foreshorten these distances. Hence, I reason that the
given size wire would need to be at a lower tension if the octave
lower length were shorter. Is this not true?
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu