[CAUT] Sperrhake Harpsichord wire

G Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Fri Dec 4 09:15:11 MST 2009

Fred,

I don't disagree with any of the comments regarding guage and scaling changes in harpsichord service.

I would add to the discussion this hyphothesis. The thinner (finer) the wire the more fragile and even miniscule kinking, bending, moisture induced rust will compromize the integrity of the spool.

In dealing with a bundle of (harpsichord guage) wire that breaks during restring process it is common that the wire has some form of contamination or introduction of mishandling. More often than not I myself am the culprit and pay the price of my inattention proper handling. Minimizing kinks is especially critical in the yellow and rose wires even thought they are heavier guage.

Humbly respectful of the wire gods.

Gerry Cousins

West Chester University of PA