[CAUT] FW: Concert hall pianos

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Fri Dec 4 08:13:44 MST 2009

Hi-

As a compromise regarding this issue here I proposed that during the open
practice time reserved in the hall (6:00-9:00am every day) we need to
communicate the expectation that this opportunity is for a run though of
pieces after serious work has been done in the practice room.  We want to
allow students this valuable experience but the only way it can work is if
the stage piano is respected as such. Serious practice is for the practice
rooms.  I haven't heard anyone argue against this point, but nothing has
been done about it either.  On the other hand, reality is that not too many
students are up that early to take advantage of the open policy, which is a
good thing as I see it.  The #1 newer piano is locked for authorized use
only. It's the #2 piano that is open for this use, but that is also the
piano used for the majority of recitals.  The #1 piano is only for piano
faculty, guest artists, or senior piano recitals as permitted.

best,

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College