[CAUT] FW: Concert hall pianos

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Fri Dec 4 07:26:36 MST 2009

Jim -
Kent beat me to the question I also pondered.  Why?  What's the
reason tor the policy? It seems very much to the point.  All the
rational arguments you might muster are useless if the motivation for
the policy is irrational.  The other missing components from your
presentation are the voices of the other constituents.  What do the
faculty think about this?  Can they be allies? This is clearly not
something that you can affect all by yourself.
Finally, if the issue is giving piano students access to a concert
instrument to familiarize themselves with the concept, why not
dedicate an instrument for that purpose?  Not a wreck, mind you.  The
kind of instrument they might encounter in their professional careers.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY