[CAUT] Sperrhake Harpsichord wire

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Dec 4 07:01:10 MST 2009

On Dec 4, 2009, at 5:19 AM, reggaepass at aol.com wrote:

> In general, if a string continues to break at a given diameter, you
> should try thinner wire.
> We've got a double-manual that routinely sheds it's smallest gauge
> of brass wire (.014").  So, would you recommend that I try .013"
> brass (if such a thing is to be had), or go to .013" steel, or ???
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan Eder

Hmm, yes, I suppose, or .14 steel. Whichever sounds better. Sometimes
instruments are badly scaled, or are at the limits of tension at the
brass break. It is also possible that a different brass material would
be appropriate, and I'm afraid I don't know the ins and outs of that
(which is stronger, red or yellow: haven't experimented or learned.
I've assumed yellow is stronger, but don't really know).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu