[CAUT] Practicing on concert instruments...again...

Laurence Libin lelibin at optonline.net
Thu Dec 3 17:43:56 MST 2009

Concern for concert pianos and for workloads is very understandable, but
perhaps college and university technicians might also consider the value to
students of a couple of hours of practice time on the special instrument
they might otherwise be playing for the first time in what for them might be
a milestone performance. In my limited experience, playing an unfamiliar
instrument in an unfamiliar acoustic sometimes makes me rethink tempo,
articulation, dynamics, balance, so I suppose it could also take a student
more than one hour of practice time to adjust to the situation. Obviously
unessential use of concert pianos has to be restricted, but surely college
techs can try to cut the kids some slack so they can appear at their best in
recital.

Laurence Libin