[CAUT] Practicing on concert instruments...again...

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Thu Dec 3 15:53:08 MST 2009

Jim

Don gave an excellent report on why a concert piano should not be used for practicing. But I would suggest that you use his information along with a spread sheet comparing the cost of new strings for a violin, with new strings and hammers, etc, for a piano. Your chair probably has no clue what it costs to restring a piano, much less putting on new hammers, etc. Time is not an issue, because he's paying you no matter what you do. But when he sees the amount of money it will cost the department, perhaps he'll change his mind.

Wim