[CAUT] Protecting pianos from student and faculty beverage spills

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Dec 2 14:47:52 MST 2009

I wish we had key-cards issued so that only students could enter practice
rooms!  The building is open from 7am to 11pm most days, and not enough
monitors to see if everyone there has a collegiate reason for being there.
 We're lucky in that not many incidents with liquid stuffs are spilled on
or in pianos.  Sometimes, classroom pianos are more apt to be damaged as
students will reserve them for receptions before or after their recitals.
One spill of "something" so far this year killing the bottom 6 bass
strings on a Steinway B, but so far, that's it this year....(knocking on
wood happening now!)  I've heard of Richard West, my friend and
predecessor finding a piano all strung out as a buffet table once, but
can't confirm this rumor.  I would come unglued if I found this!!

Every fall, I put a note saying, "Do not put anything but music on this
piano", but unfortunately, I find that the students think this a coaster
for their coffee!  There's no way to control them.  Sure, they're
"adults", but even "adults" refuse to respect the instrument and think it
a great way to set their junk on them, including drinks...

OK. enough rant.

Paul