[CAUT] Cleaning old mold

Dorothy Bell dabell58 at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 30 16:28:13 MDT 2009

Hi, Ruth --

I always worry about the likelihood of the mold spores having gotten in below the surface of the wood -- and they also love living in wool felt, and I wouldn't even know where to begin eliminating mold from felt.

One anecdote: I saw a very moldy piano once in a house nearby and advised the owners to discard it, largely because of the mold issues. About a year later I was called to see a piano in another part of town, new to that customer, bought used. Lots of mold, yuck. Had a little talk. As you probably have guessed, it turned out to be the same piano; the original owner had cleaned up the mold and sold the piano, and by the time the second family had decided to have it tuned, the mold had grown back.

Mold discourages me. And, being an RN, I worry about health issues, especially if there are children in the house. Wim's point about transferring spores is a very good one from a public health point of view.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who has had long-term success with this problem.

Best wishes and good luck!
Dorrie Bell
Boston, MA