[CAUT] CAF

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Aug 27 10:51:20 MDT 2009

On Aug 24, 2009, at 7:05 PM, Mark Cramer wrote:

> On a sample note; if these *four* adjustments (presuming you meant to
> include rep. lever height) do NOT result in synchronization, AND
> correct
> jack alignment to the knuckle... yes, we would diagnose the other
> three
> tolerances and make a global correction before continuing with jack
> position.

Hi Mark,
	I think that in general we are in agreement on this. My intent was
simply to add some additional details and wrinkles to the
conversation. I guess I would have to agree that the rep lever height
needs to be taken into consideration if trying out the action with the
hammers up out of the way. If the rep lever top is much above the jack
top (due to relatively weak springs or poor regulation), it will mean
the lever will hit the drop screw earlier than it would in real
playing conditions, where the jack top and the rep top will both
contact the knuckle and the gap will disappear. So this makes the
method of checking with hammers raised less precise than one might
expect.
	A couple other thoughts about the ways in which these factors
interact with one another, and affect the regulation:
	If the jack is set farther under the knuckle, the tender will hit the
letoff button earlier. Hence, to make the drop simultaneous, the screw
will need to be lower, so drop is also contacted earlier. Hence, jacks
farther under knuckles means greater drop distance.
	And, of course, vice versa: set the jacks "less under" (I can't think
of a good way to put that) and simultaneous drop will be higher.
	The former means you could have a little more aftertouch and not
worry about string contact, The latter means you need to reduce
aftertouch.
	All very subtle, but significant to how the action feels and
responds. Along with how much the jack scrapes along the surface of
the knuckle. Add all the factors, and you definitely feel the
difference.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico