[CAUT] Subservience, was CAF

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sat Aug 22 22:58:44 MDT 2009

>I tune the performance pianos for a small college.
>The people I tune for can play Bach Partitas and Schubert's Wanderer
>Fantasy. A few are famous, most are not.
>It's a small audience, mostly people interested in music, and many
>of them know what the piano sounded like before I started
>maintaining it. They often come over and congratulate me if I'm in
>the audience. I like these folks, and they like me!
>I get enough business from the referrals to consider moving to the area.
>I'm a small time guy, easy to make happy.
>Ed S.

I think that's the profession at its best, Ed.

Am I easy to make happy? Just give me really nice almost new very
long pianos, appreciative good local players, tolerant polite
EXTREMELY MUSICAL travelling artists, decent sized concert
audiences who all know me by sight, oh, and give me enough
money to pay for groceries, housing, etc., (though not for
rapacious health insurance), give me control of how much
tuning I feel like doing (being 63, I dare call it
"semi-retirement") (except for concerts, they come when
they come and I do them all), oh, and free admission,
of course, and let everybody act very glad to see me
when I walk in the door -- but heck, just give me those
few simple things, and I'm happy.

Oh, and don't forget, living in a really beautiful place with
a mild climate, not even any mosquitoes.

Just little modest "subservient" me, not picky a bit .............. !!

I started piano tuning by taking Ted Sambell's course, in 1978.
It took me almost since then to get here, to the "simple thing"
place and situation, gradually, but at least it's somewhere
worth being. I don't think feeling hot and bothered about being
taken advantage of can get one to such a place. (in my opinion ...)

Luck, one needs considerable luck ... and no matter how fine
one's basic situation, some days are a chore and a nuisance
now and then. (Can't have everything -- all in the same place!)

Space -- Nature's way of keeping everything from being all
crowded together.
Time -- Nature's way of keeping everything from happening all
at once.

Susan Kline
OSU, Newport Arts Center