[CAUT] Key straightening; was Key Spacing: The Distal End

G Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Sat Aug 22 11:56:31 MDT 2009

Jeff,
Yes, bows are dry heated to retain shape. Various woods require various timings. (duh)
Most modern bow mfg. is in well controlled kilns. Traditional Brazilwood & Pernambuco woods have a substantially different bend differential time.
Ribs are wetted (steamed) and different methodologies call for different techniques. (Think hide glue)  Time is the essence.

I have used Roger's suggestion in some of the harpsichord warping with varied success. Would have to say that I believe much depends on the age of the key stick receiving the treatment.  Guess is that moisture content of the wood before during and after the might be the determining factor for success rates. Does anyone have a detailed analysis? Maybe Andre or the folks from Kluge.

BTW  Love the jig design Alan (?). Have to make me one.

Gerry