[CAUT] Subservience, was CAF

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 22 08:53:02 MDT 2009

I don't think of that as denigrating the pianists who become stars so much as respecting the so many more who are just as talented and don't. Without an agent and a brilliant marketing campaign, the would-be performers join the audience. Talent is not the only reason the stars become stars. Just watch an episode of America's Got Talent. One of the most polished and talented performers I've seen in a long time got voted off by the judges in favor of a frisbee catching dog because two of them thought he should have picked a different song, even though the dog missed half his frisbees.  The classical music world is no different than pop. It's a business. It's a political one. And it's all about the right person liking you at the right time.

Seriously, you don't think their is a social reason people buy tickets to the symphony?

Jeff