[CAUT] Office square footage

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Wed Aug 19 11:17:53 MDT 2009

Well, we have about 115 pianos in the fleet, and two part-time
technicians. Our primary space is 13.5 x 18.5 feet, about 250 square
feet. We usually have two pianos in for stringing and action
rebuilding, and it's jammed. It does work, because we're not often
both in at the same time, and we have only a drill press and bench-
top table saw that lives under one of the pianos until it's needed.
Cabinets, workbench the size of two actions, tool cart and desk. The
room is full.

It would work nicely and efficiently for one person, with a smaller
fleet. But to have two full-timers to really take care of these
pianos, there should be nearly twice this much room. Someday...

The worst thing is that we have no window, and the temperature
regulation is marginal. Ironically, the computer techs got the other
half of the room when it was divided, the half with the window. And
they have the window covered with dark paper to minimize glare. Go
figure.

Doug Wood