[CAUT] Off the Beaten Track

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Aug 18 13:47:37 MDT 2009

Hi Folks...

I am considering a major action rebuild of a Petrof grand where the
indexing of hammer flange holes was botched big time. Looks like the
whippen flanges all line up pretty good to where they should be...
(I'll have a closer look at everything in the next couple days)...  but
heres the deal....

Bass hammer shanks project pretty straight (perpendicular to the hammer
rail) forward. Tenor section are angled about 10 degrees to the right,
upper tenor is more like 15 degrees... extreme angle... and diskant
about 10 degrees.  In all cases Whips were rather creatively shimmed so
that the heel sits fairly square on the capstan and the jack under the
knuckle.  Hammer alignment to strings leaves the middle of the shank
pretty much dead center over the whippen flange in all cases.

Its a mess, and the hammers are so worn out the instrument either needs
to be re-hammered or trashed. If I'm to re hammer this thing... I want
to straighten out this mess at the same time.  But I've never approached
this kind of thing before and need some guidelines.  I am perhaps
looking at plugging all hammer flange and whippen flange screw holes and
reboring... which leaves me needing the procedure for getting all this
in the right spot.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
RicB