[CAUT] CAF

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Aug 18 10:31:26 MDT 2009

On Aug 18, 2009, at 9:41 AM, Jeff Tanner wrote:

> I would bet that the music wasn't originally composed with this
> technique in mind, but that modern "interpretation" has altered the
> original intention of the music.  If today's action designs have
> trouble with it, imagine what the design limitations of early
> composers, or even modern composers' instruments would be like.  We
> all know that the composer's pianos are among the lowest on the
> priority list, and they are the types that just don't expect much of
> their pianos beyond rough tuning.

	I suggest that no piano technician should presume to tell a pianist
what kind of technique to use. Nor should we have the attitude that we
know what pianos are capable of because of our own expertise. Pianists
come up with ways of approaching the keyboard through trial and error
and endless hours of refinement. If they have been able to achieve the
effect they want on one piano, they want to be able to achieve at
least a similar effect on another. Pianists (at the top end of the
profession) are constantly pushing the limits. It is our job to try to
accommodate their needs. At least that is my attitude. Yours may differ.
	Good composers for the piano actually have a very good idea of what a
piano is capable of, and they tend to push limits as well. Neither
they nor good pianists are interested in the excuses of piano
technicians. When Alicia de Larrocha showed me the kind of repetition
she needed to play the Ravel concerto (and demonstrated quite clearly
that there were notes that weren't functioning well enough), she was
quite clear that this was possible on pianos that were well prepped -
she should know, she has played on hundreds. It was my job to try to
make the piano I had prepped meet her demands. (This was maybe 15
years ago. At the time, I thought I had prepped that piano pretty
well, and that its repetition was about as good as it gets. I was
wrong, and I thank her for pointing it out).
	BTW, modern piano actions differ considerably from classical and
romantic period instruments, and in many ways those earlier
instruments were capable of things modern instruments can't do,
especially in terms of facility, clarity and speed. All the added mass
and lower ratio has made the modern piano less capable in some areas,
while more capable in others.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico