[CAUT] CAF

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 17 08:01:14 MDT 2009

What I was referring to is what Ric described, where the hammer gets jammed and held down by the backcheck.  What you're describing, I would call a checking issue, where the hammer tail drives through the check too far on a hard blow and the jack can't reset.  I suppose I learned regulation on pianos where the shanks were high off the cushions, so I learned to make them work that way.  I can't recall ever having seen shank packing marks on wip cushions. I also tend to dislike systems where you are forced to have cushions so close, and I really don't like rails.  If the hammer is bouncing off the cushion, something ain't catching it right.  If the cushion is coming into play, then the stage is actually set for CAF.  So, yes, the cushion is a fail safe for when the action is not well regulated.
Jeff