[CAUT] S & S D rest cushions

Mark Dierauf pianotech at nhpianos.com
Mon Aug 17 05:57:59 MDT 2009

Fred - I had the same experience. The action seemed fine until the
client started working on the Chopin waltz Op. 18, with all those
repeated notes. Furthermore, it only started happening after the hammers
had been reshaped, which required raising the shanks up off the
cushions. At the time I tired pinning the levers stronger, to no avail.
In hindsight, I suspect the the plated may have been set a bit high in
this piano.

I've also heard that the rep lever travel limiters that used to appear
on some whips (those little metal 'L' shaped pieces back near the
regulating buttons) may have been there specifically to prevent CAF,
although I've never tested the veracity of this.

- Mark