[CAUT] CAF

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Aug 17 06:10:21 MDT 2009

We still have to fine a way to determine what a "firm" bushing/center
pin is?

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044

Hi David... I have never thought in terms of grams... have always just
gotten a feel for things.  For the whippen, I just disengage the spring
and move the lever and the jack. Both should be such that you feel some
resistance. The rep lever center should exhibit enough resistance that
you can easily feel the pins tightness. It should'nt be so tight as to
feel outright stiff... but it needs to be good and firm.  The jack needs
also to be a bit firm but less so. It shouldnt move on its own if you
tilt the whippen, but it should fall slightly with a slight tapping on
the whippen.

In the "D" I mentioned earlier... the tech had also taken out a fair
share of jack centers and replaced them with looser ones. Upon given the
job to fix the problem, it appeared that this had just exasperated
whatever rep problems there were to begin with... as it looked like a
last ditch attempt to solve the problem.  That wasn't full blown CAF
mind you... just slow repetition, very uneven with a good deal of jack
missing.  Most of the problem was fixed by good regulation and key
bushing friction control. The rest was fixed by repining the overly
loose jack centers and a few balancier centers and tightening the rep
springs. A slight bit of key kick back was brought back into evidence,
which tho some techs think should be absolutely absent, I find necessary
in very moderate amounts.

Cheers
RicB