[CAUT] S & S D rest cushions

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Aug 16 13:15:36 MDT 2009

I have no argument with this, or the reasons for it given by any of the
posters so far.

    Fred writes:

    "Although what I have been writing in this thread has been aimed at
    a specific and fairly rare problem, I agree with David that
    minimizing space between cushion and shank will improve repetition
    in general  (though maybe not terribly noticeably)."

I just cant see CAF (as defined by Fred a couple posts back) getting
into the picture. Try as I might with my action model... I could not
find a way of causing this lock up in any way at all given reasonable
action regulation, and good friction levels for centers and key
bushings, even with the rest cushion totally removed.  Nor have I ever
experienced being forced to deal with the rest cushion distance to fix
any king of jack missing problem at all in real piano situations.

On the side... I did run into a D locally a few years back where a tech
had experienced rep problems and tried to resolve them by putting in
very loose jack centers and regulating the hammer blow way up... (I
measured 38-39 mm blow distance).  I have no idea what the reasoning for
the latter was.... goes counter to just about everything. But the former
I can at least see the rational for.... tho I disagreed with it.  If the
jack shows no apparent sluggishness in a manual test unrestricted by
lifting the knuckle away from the rep lever... then it isnt jack speed
thats the problem.  Thats not to say there may be other reasons to
address the jack center (as mentioned in some of the other posts)....
but if the thing moves quickly... well then it moves quickly if you get
my meaning.

Cheers
RicB