[CAUT] S & S D rest cushions

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Aug 16 09:06:33 MDT 2009

Actually, the type of blow (one type anyway) where you have the problem is
on a hard fast repetition where the key remains depressed as the hammer
rebounds and thus the jack is fully pressed up against the stop.  If the key
is released and depressed again when the hammer is in its over rotated
position downward, the jack will not be able to get back under the knuckle
and will jam up on the proximal side of the knuckle.  At the same time the
back check will come forward and lock onto the hammer creating a
"catastrophic failure".  This may not happen on every type of repetition but
it can happen and argues for keeping that gap minimized.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com