[CAUT] S & S D rest cushions

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Aug 16 08:40:50 MDT 2009

I have to disagree with those who think the amount of space below the hammer
shank is unimportant or not likely to affect performance.  While the rest
cushion spacing may not come into play on most types of repetition
requirements, a set up that allows the shank to over rotate below the set
position will increase the amount of time that the jack requires to reset
under the knuckle.  While it may not be an issue for most performance
requirements, there will inevitably be some types repetition where excess
air space below the cushion will reduce repetition speed and efficiency.
Moreover, with the hammer being able to rotate more downward (and depending
on how large the gap is) there is the chance that the backcheck can catch
the hammer shoulder in certain instances (especially in the bass).  I would
argue for reducing that gap should you find yourself in that position by
building up the rest cushion with an appropriately dimensioned piece of
felt.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com