[CAUT] Steinway Bell

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Aug 16 04:07:34 MDT 2009

Hi guys...

Thanks for the advices... and sorry to have not gotten back to you
all.... been very busy with the early fall season.  Adding mass to the
bridge on this instrument is not an option so I cant go there even if I
wanted to.... even if it was the obvious solution.... piano mystic you
know.

Loosening the bell was what I was after.... whether or not there was any
likelyhood an over tightening could have a detrimental affect on the
tone as described.

Daniels comments as to how much the factory tightens to begin with is
something I've heard before.... but I have no official word from
Steinway.  Its often difficult info on  exactly what is really done....
the people you talk to are never the people who do the job.

Discussions here on the general subject indicate that the bells real
function is to mass couple the plate to the rim.... a plate stiffness
issue as I understand it. However if the plate in the area is capable of
actually being pulled down enough to significantly affect downbearing
without cracking then perhaps this might be at least in part some of the
problem.... this was on my mind at any rate.

Any more thoughts would be appreciated.... and again... hope you all had
a great summer !

Cheers
RicB