[CAUT] Can't hear the forest for the trees

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 15 14:16:19 MDT 2009

It sounds like you are describing a longitudinal partial. It cannot be made to go away. To test, lower the pitch of the string a little. A loud longitudinal partial will not change pitch when you lower the string. People have put up with this sound for decades. If you don't notice, you don't notice.

Arledge knows how to wind a string in a way that avoids the longitudinal partial.

Ed S.