[CAUT] CAF

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sat Aug 15 13:59:03 MDT 2009

At 09:40 AM 8/15/2009, Fred wrote:
>First, there is the question of what we are calling "CAF." I am
>referring to a particular lock up of the action (of one note of the
>action), where the hammer ends up well below the hammerline, and it
>doesn't reset immediately.

Ah, that's something different. I ran across that just once, for one
note on a decent newish Steinway B. It wasn't systemic, thank
heavens. I finally traced it down when I found that a big oversized
paperclip had lodged under the back of the repetition lever, so the
front end was too low. The hammer would play most of the time, but
since the knuckle was held up only by the jack (and bouncing on it),
once in awhile the hammer would come back down while the jack was
still out from under, and the jack would lodge against the side of
the knuckle. The knuckle was then resting on the lowered lever, so
that the hammer was below the hammer line. Jiggling the key would
eventually toss the hammer up enough that the jack would return to
vertical, and the note would play for awhile more.

Definitely not concert-ready. <grin>

Susan Kline