[CAUT] pin-block plugging?

Mark Cramer cramer at brandonu.ca
Thu Apr 30 09:12:26 PDT 2009

Now and then I run into a situation where plugging a tuning-pin hole and
re-drilling seems like the only option. IOW, neither an over-sized pin, CA
glue nor an emery paper shim will work.

I've tackled this fairly carefully, even using a small portable drill press
clamped to the keybed to get a precise hole, but I never seem to get a good
result:

I've used plugs from both economy blocks and Bolduc blocks. The plugs are a
tight fit to the wood, and really have to be driven home. I've used
carpenter's glue.

Nonetheless, the results always seem to end up the same. I bore for a 1/0
pin, then end up installing a 2/0, then up-sizing to a 3/0, and often a
4/0!?

Anyone have success with this?

Over the years some of you must've plugged and re-bored entire pin-blocks.
What's your secret?

Thanks,

Mark Cramer, RPT

Brandon University