[CAUT] string level

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Apr 29 16:57:10 PDT 2009

On Apr 29, 2009, at 6:06 AM, Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) wrote:

> I've taken to simply removing the dampers from that section while
> doing this work. It only takes about 3 minutes to take them out and
> then you have complete access right on the strike-point for string-
> leveling plus the added bonus of being able to do a great job of
> spacing and mating the hammers to the strings, setting let-off, etc.
> It usually takes no more than 10-15 minutes to put the dampers back.
> In that critical section of the instrument doing this seems like a
> very good investment of time given the benefits of being able to see
> what you are doing.

	I agree this is the way to go with those instruments that have the
whole section with very close spacing between damper and capo, so it
is next to impossible to see letoff. But there are a lot of
instruments where it is just the last few dampers that are a bit too
close to fit the level, and it's too much trouble to pull those
dampers just for that purpose. (And, yes, there are plenty of work
arounds, like using hammer mating to set string level). I have just
thought many times that I sure ought to grind another mm off the width
of the level, or make a new thinner one.
	So I have concentrated on making a thinner one. An instrument I would
have liked to quickly check string levels on spurred me on to actually
do something, so I fooled around a bit last weekend.
	About adding a magnet to the Mother Goose level (as suggested by
Chris S), I don't see the point. Joe's level is a good design, the
right mass, the right contact surface, a good balance and center of
gravity, all work together to produce a good reading of plucked
strings. Where a magnet makes sense is in a devise with less mass, and/
or one that is top heavy. There are a lot of potential designs for
using a magnet to make a string level, either with a leveling bubble,
or just as a flat surface to create a straight line. Me, I have a
particular use in mind, so I will be pursuing the top heavy and
slender design.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico